The Internal Revenue Service has released an advance copy of interim guidance implementing requirements that employers report to employees of the cost of their employer-sponsored group health plan coverage required under Internal Revenue Code (Code) § 6051(a)(14) of the Code, as enacted as part of the Affordable Care Act.
The interim guidance contained in Notice 2011-28 generally applies beginning with 2012 Forms W-2 (that is, the forms required for the calendar year 2012 that employers generally are required to furnish to employees in January 2013 and then file with the Social Security Administration (SSA)).
The Affordable Care Act will require that employers report to employees information about the cost of employer provided health care coverage beginning in January 2013. According to Notice 2010-69, employers are permitted, but not required to report the cost of health coverage on any forms required to be furnished to employees prior to January 2013. However, any employers that choose to report earlier (on the 2011 Forms W-2 generally furnished to employees in January 2012) may look to this notice for guidance regarding that voluntary earlier reporting.
Reporting to employees pursuant to Code § 6051(a)(14) is for their information only. The report of the information is intended by Congress to inform employees of the cost of their health care coverage. It does not cause otherwise excludable employer-provided health care coverage to become taxable. This notice provides interim guidance that
Notice 2011-28 will be published in Internal Revenue Bulletin 2011-16 on April 18, 2011.
For Help With Affordable Care Act or Other Employee Benefits or HR Needs
The new W-2 reporting requirement is one of a multitude of changes impacting the responsibilities of employment based health care coverage enacted under the Affordable Care Act.
If you have any questions or need help responding to the Affordable Care Act or other any other health plan or insurance employee benefit, compensation, workforce or internal control concerns, please contact the author of this update, Cynthia Marcotte Stamer here or at (469)767-8872.
About Solutions Law Press
Solutions Law Press™ provides business risk management, legal compliance, management effectiveness and other resources, training and education on human resources, employee benefits, data security and privacy, insurance, health care and other key compliance, risk management, internal controls and operational concerns. If you find this of interest, you also be interested reviewing some of our other Solutions Law Press resources including:
- Plan Sponsors. Their Owners & Management & Others Risk Personal Liability If Others Defraud Plans or Mismanage Employee Benefit Plan Responsibilities
- Health Plans, Insurers Get Limited & Imperfect Relief From Grace Period Extension For Some New Affordable Care Act Health Claims & Appeals Rules
- EEOC Finalizes Updates To Disability Regulations In Response to ADA Amendments Act
- Speak Up On The 1st Anniversary of Health Care Reform
- Employer Pays $754,578 To Settle Charges Workers Misclassified & Underpaid In Violation of FLSA
- CMS Publishes Proposed Consumer Disclosure Notices Detailing Required Health Insurer Rate Increase Justification Disclosures
- Avoiding Liability For Another’s Health Plan Fraud
- 4/19 Deadline For Comments On Proposed Rules For Selecting State Employment Service Delivery Systems Providers For Veterans
- Health Plans & Employers Beware! $4.3 Million Civil Penalty Shows OCR Serious About HIPAA Enforcement
- IRS Expands When HFSAs & HRAS May Allow Over-The-Counter Drug Purchases With Drug Cards
- IRS, HHS & DOL To Delay Enforcement of New Insured Group Health Plan Non-Discrimination Rules Pending Guidance; Seek Public Input on Rules
- DOL Announces Changes To H-2B Prevailing Wage Calculation Rules
- $1 Million + FLSA Overtime Settlement Shows Employers Should Tighten On-Call, Other Wage & Hour Practices
- Medical Resident Stipend Ruling Shows Health Care, Other Employers Should Review Worker Classification, Payroll & Other Practices
- CMS Physician Compare Web Site Offers Consumers New Provider Info Source
- Holiday Season Celebration Reminder To Manage Intoxication Risks
- Avoiding Post-Holiday Celebration Sexual Harassment & Discrimination Liability
- Small Employers Should Weigh If Health Premium Tax Credit Justifies Changing Employee Leasing Arrangements
- 2011 Standard Mileage Rates Announced
- Free 12/6/10 ABA RPTE Employee Benefit Groups Study Group Conference Call Examines PBGC Enforcement of Downsizing Liability, Updated Reporting & Other PBGC Developments
- Proposed New Defined Benefit Plan Annual Funding Notice Rule Reminder of Need to Carefully Manage Pension Plan Responsibilities
- Affordable Care Act Grandfathered Plan Rules Loosened To Allow Insured Plans Making Some Insurance Changes To Qualify
- Update Employment Practices To Manage Genetic Info Discrimination Risks Under New EEOC Final GINA Regulations
- EEOC Attacks Medical Leave Denials As Prohibited Disability Discrimination
- DOL Proposes To Expand Investment Related Services Giving Rise to ERISA Fiduciary Status As Investment Fiduciary
If you or someone else you know would like to receive future updates about developments on these and other concerns, please be sure that we have your current contact information – including your preferred e-mail – by creating or updating your profile at here or e-mailing this information here. To unsubscribe, e-mail here.
©2011 Cynthia Marcotte Stamer. Non-exclusive right to republish granted to Solutions Law Press. All other rights reserved.