Texas CEO Magazine invites Solutions Law Press Readers to catch up on new developments and strategies to help employers prepare for and cope with the ever-evolving stream of health plan developments enacted under the Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act by participating in a practical workshop
Tuesday, June 17
7:30 – 9:00 a.m.
Park City Club
5956 Sherry Lane, Dallas
The Affordable Care Act continues to hit the business world with successive waves of reform. To make sure your company is ready, we’ve assembled a panel of experts to update you about the current and impending legal terrain and share their benefit plan design and compliance tips to help your business cope with these changes.
Two of Texas CEO’s “Top 10 Most Read” articles in 2013 were authored by Dallas attorney and benefit specialist Cynthia Stamer who will anchor our panel of benefit experts as we take you through:
- Benefit Plan Design
- Workforce Classification
- Data Collection
- Cost Projections
- Private Exchanges
- New Reporting Requirements (IRC 6055 & 6056)
- Noncompliance Penalties
- Avoiding the Tax
- The New Care Delivery Dynamic
Featured Speakers Include:
Cynthia Stamer, Managing Partner, Solutions Lawyer
Cynthia is a Dallas-based attorney who has spent more than 25 years helping private and public employers and health and employee benefit planners develop, implement, administer and defend creative, legally compliant and operationally effective health plans and policies.
Cynthia’s Texas CEO Magazine article, “Benefit Plan Triage: 12 STEPS EVERY EMPLOYER WITH A HEALTH PLAN SHOULD DO NOW,” was one of the Top 10 most-read articles of 2012. And in 2013, “Getting Ready for ACA Reform: 13 Steps to Take Now,” and “Affordable Care Act Update,” were both Top 10 most read articles.
Ms. Stamer is:
- Past Chair of the ABA Health Law Section Managed Care & Insurance Interest Group
- Immediate Past Chair of the ABA’s RPTE Employee Benefit & Compensation Committee
- Marketing Committee Chair of the ABA Joint Committee on Employee Benefits
- Vice Chair of the ABA Tort & Insurance Practice Section Employee Benefits Committee
- Current Vice-Chair of the Gulf States TEGE Council – Exempt Organizations Group
Eric Bassett, Senior Partner & Central Market Leader, Mercer Health & Benefits Consulting
Eric works with clients in all areas of health care and group benefits with particular emphasis on health care strategies, delivery system capabilities, defined contribution, and consumerism. Eric began his 28-year health care career working for health care vendors. He has led cross-functional teams involved in the development of rural managed care strategies, integration of legacy networks and systems, physician profiling and implementation of open access networks and systems. Eric’s consulting experience includes:
- Developing and managing health improvement, disease and demand management programs.
- Chronic PCMH program design and development.
- Working with management and labor during collective bargaining.
- Integrating and consolidating benefit plans for mergers and acquisitions.
- Working closely with corporate committees to facilitate decision-making.
- Active and retiree exchange strategy and design.
Scott Gibbs, Senior Vice President, McGriff, Seibels & Williams, Inc.
Scott Gibbs works with large employers on long term strategies to make corporate benefit plans consistent with the company’s goals and budgets, working with both fully-insured and self-funded plans.
Scott is a member of:
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Texas Public Risk Management Association
- International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans
- State and Local Government Benefit Association
- Scott has an undergraduate degree from Baylor University and a Master’s in Health Care Administration from Trinity University.
Becky Parker, Health Reform Director, MHBT Inc.
Becky directs all corporate strategy and communication pertaining to the Affordable Care Act for MHBT and its clients. She has worked as an employee benefits advisor since 1992 and was one of the first employee benefits professionals to have earned a Certification in Health Care Reform Studies from The American College.
Becky is an active member of the Austin Association of Health Underwriters where she was president in 2003 and also served on the Texas Association of Health Underwriters board as their liaison to the Texas Department of Insurance and was honored nationally for her work.
Becky is an advocate for employee benefits in the legislative arena regularly testifying at the Texas State Capitol and engaging our federal elected officials on insurance related matters. Becky has even advised Texas Congressmen on the employer aspects of the Affordable Care Act.
Becky holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from The University of Texas at Austin.
For Representation, Training & Other Resources
If you need assistance monitoring these and other regulatory policy, enforcement, litigation or other developments, or to review or respond to these or other workforce, benefits and compensation, performance and risk management, compliance, enforcement or management concerns, the author of this update, attorney Cynthia Marcotte Stamer may be able to help.
Board Certified in Labor & Employment Law, Past Chair of the ABA RPTE Employee Benefit & Other Compensation Arrangements Group, Co-Chair and Past Chair of the ABA RPTE Welfare Plan Committee, Vice Chair of the ABA TIPS Employee Benefit Plans Committee, Vice President of the North Texas Health Care Compliance Professionals Association, Past Chair of the ABA Health Law Section Managed Care & Insurance Section and the former Board Compliance Chair of the National Kidney Foundation of North Texas, Ms. Stamer has more than 24 years experience advising health plan and employee benefit, insurance, financial services, employer and health industry clients about these and other matters. Ms. Stamer has extensive experience advising and assisting health care providers, health plans, their business associates and other health industry clients to establish and administer medical privacy and other compliance and risk management policies, to health care industry investigation, enforcement and other compliance, public policy, regulatory, staffing, and other operations and risk management concerns. She regularly designs and presents HIPAA and other risk management, compliance and other training for health plans, employers, health care providers, professional associations and others.
For the past two years, Ms. Stamer has served as the scribe for the ABA Joint Committee on Employee Benefits agency meeting with OCR. Ms. Stamer also regularly works with OCR, FTC, USSS, FBI and state and local law enforcement on privacy, data security, health care, benefits and insurance and other matters, publishes and speaks extensively on medical and other privacy and data security, health and managed care industry regulatory, staffing and human resources, compensation and benefits, technology, public policy, reimbursement and other operations and risk management concerns. Her publications and insights appear in the Health Care Compliance Association, Atlantic Information Service, Bureau of National Affairs, World At Work, The Wall Street Journal, Business Insurance, the Dallas Morning News, Modern Health Care, Managed Healthcare, Health Leaders, and a many other national and local publications. For instance, Ms. Stamer for the second year will serve as the appointed scribe for the ABA Joint Committee on Employee Benefits Agency meeting with OCR. Her insights on HIPAA risk management and compliance frequently appear in medical privacy related publications of a broad range of health care, health plan and other industry publications Among others, she has conducted privacy training for the Association of State & Territorial Health Plans (ASTHO), the Los Angeles Health Department, the American Bar Association, the Health Care Compliance Association, a multitude of health industry, health plan, insurance and financial services, education, employer employee benefit and other clients, trade and professional associations and others. You can get more information about her HIPAA and other experience here.
If you need assistance with these or other compliance concerns, wish to inquire about arranging for compliance audit or training, or need legal representation on other matters please contact Ms. Stamer at (469) 767-8872 or via e-mail here.
You can review other recent publications and resources and additional information about the other experience of Ms. Stamer here. Examples of some recent publications that may be of interest include:
- IRS Published Covered Compensation Table For 2014
- J.P. Morgan Chase Hit For $461M For Madoff-Related Bank Secrecy Act Violations
- Dermatology Practice To Pay $150K To Settle Charges It Breached HIPAA Breach Notice Rule
- Employer Faces $2M FLSA Lawsuit For Alleged Worker Misclassification
- OIG 2013 Top Management Challenges List Signals Tightening of Labor Department Enforcement
- DOL Sues PBI Bank For Alleged Fiduciary Breach In Sale of ESOP Stock
- Agencies Proposes To Treat Certain EAP, Dental and Vision Only Plans As ACA & HIPAA Excepted Benefits
- 1/1/14 Exchange Enrollment Deadline Extended As Enrollment Still Lags
- Businesses Performing Income, Payroll Tax Duties For Employers Confirm Compliance With Updated IRS Procedures
- IRS Provides Closed DB Plan Relief, Qualified Plan Changes List & In-Plan Roth Rollovers Guidance
- Report Documents Disappointing Lag In American Use of ACA Health Insurance Exchanges Despite Administration’s Positive Spin Efforts
- IRS To Tax Health Insurers On Assessments To Cover ACA Section 9010 Annual Fee
- 2014 Standard Mileage Rates Announced
- US Labor Department Seeks $300K+ Whistleblower Recovery Against Employer For Firing Worker
- Careful Selection & Contracting With Vendors Critical Part of Health Plan Renewals
- Exchange Enrollment Kicks Off Plagued By Government Shutdown, Other Challenges
- Model Language May Aid Section 83(b) Elections Even As Executive & Other Special Compensation Carry Growing Liability Traps
- Labor Risks Rising For Employers Despite NLRB Loss Of Arizona Secret Ballot Challenge
- USI Advisors Will Pay $1.27 Million To Settle Charges It Violated ERISA Fee Disclosure Requirements
- Wal-Mart Settlement Shows ADA Risks When Considering Employee Return To Work Accommodation Requests & Inquiries
- Stamer Speaks On HIPAA Developments On 9/14 At ABA Joint Tax/RPTE Fall Meeting In Boston
- Employer Pays $475,000 To Settle ADA Discrimination Lawsuit Challenging Medical Fitness Testing For EMTs, Firefighters & Other Public Safety Worker’s
- Employers & Plan Fiduciaries Reminded To Confirm Credentials & Bonding For Internal Staff, Plan Fidiciaries & Vendors Dealing With Benefits
- HIPAA & Texas Law Require HIPAA Training. Register Now For August 14 HIPAA Update Workshop!
- EBSA Updates Guidance On Fee Disclosure Requirements For 401(k) Plan Brokerage Window Arrangements
- Federal Mandate That Employer Health Plans Must Cover 100% Of Contraceptive, Other Women’s Health Services With No Cost Sharing Now Effective
- Use NIH & Other Free Government Resources To Help Round Out Wellness Programs
- 96% Employers of 50+ Employees, 36% Employers of Smaller Employers Provide Health Coverage
- 12 Steps Every Employer With A Health Plan Should Do Now To Manage 2012-14 Health Plan Risks & Liabilities
- Congress Gives Defined Benefit Plan Sponsors Welcome Funding Relief, Raises PBGC Premiums & Makes Other Reforms
- IRS To Offer Help For U.S. Citizens Overseas With Foreign Retirement Plans, Dual Citizenship Tax Issues
- New EEOC State Discrimination Charge Data Helpful Employer Risk Assessment Tool Discrimination Exposures Grow
- Obama’s Reaffirms Commitment Prosecute Disability Discrimination To Mark Omlstead Anniversary
- IRS Changing Individual Taxpayer ID Number Application Requirements
- Insurer Group Health Inc. To Refund $500,00+ & Change Claims Practices To Settle NY AG Charges It Wrongfully Denied Coverage
- NLRB Moves To Promote Non-Union Employee Use of Collective Action Rights By Launching Webpage
- Making Wellness Work On A Shoestring Budget
- Tighten Defensibility of Criminal & Other Background Check Practices In Light of Labor Department Non-Discrimination Regulation & Enforcement Emphasis
If you or someone else you know would like to receive future updates about developments on these and other concerns, please be sure that we have your current contact information including your preferred e-mail by creating or updating your profile here. For important information about this communication click here.
©2014 Cynthia Marcotte Stamer. Non-exclusive right to republish granted to Solutions Law Press, Inc. All rights reserved.